[MacDV] 2 questions

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Sun Jun 28 18:53:05 PDT 2009

Hi Mary Ann,

I'm Cc'ing this to you directly as the server seems wonky, taking
two weeks to respond to posts.

You are absolutely right -- go with MiniDV tape if you plan to
import and edit.

The HD and flash memory cameras are small, give good pictures,
and are convenient. HOWEVER, they have onboard hardware to
compress the video, and it is HIGHLY compressed. No problem as
far as the pictures go, they look great. But your computer
doesn't have the dedicated hardware that is built into the
cameras. So even just playing the footage needs a much more
powerful machine than it takes to play miniDV. The computer has
to decompress the video, and then play it as you edit. Huge
burden on the computer. And realistically, anything over one
track (effect, titles, etc.) will all have to be rendered.
Nothing effect wise will be real time any more, because of all
the computation needed.

Also, while copying files from HD/flash camera is faster than
ingesting tape, in many, many cases you will have to
convert/transcode the files in order to use them with your
editing software. A time consuming hassle.

MiniDV will be the nimblest, most efficient in post production.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan

P.S. On your DVD question, yes, paper labels cause lots of
problems as you've discovered. We use a Primera Bravo II DVD
printer, $2500; and an Epson Disc Publisher, about $4000. We are
happier with the Epson. We haven't had the Epson long enough to
calculate, but we figure DVDs with a picture and text cost us
about 50 cents each just in ink. It is not cheap. Thermal
transfer printers have a much lower running cost, but an even
higher initial purchase cost.

Does your school's art department have silk screening capability?
If so, maybe get the art students to do the DVD labels? Just a
thought...