[MacDV] In the market for a new Camcorder

Rauno Teravainen raunot at comcast.net
Wed May 13 02:21:01 PDT 2009

It's been slow, 2 to 10 posts a month.
Just a short story of my struggle with the same questions and my
eventual solution.
I used to have a Panasonic for a long time, but about a year ago it's
tape transport mechanism went kaputt.  I still used it by capturing
directly to a Power Book, but that was cumbersome/awkward at the best.
So I decided to buy a new HD camcorder.
The make/model I finally decided for was Hitachi DZ-BD10HA and I love
it.  It is a full 1080X1920 HD camcorder.  It's also called a BlueRay
Camcorder, it has a 30 GB hard drive as the main storage, SD card slot
(for video or 6 Megapixel stills) and a BD burner for 80mm BlueRay.  It
is like dream to me, does what it is supposed to do and does it well.
It records in AVCHD format, which is based on mpeg-4 as I understand it,
the files are easily loaded to any newish Mac (I have used both, Intel
iMac 24 Dual Duo 2.8 GHz and an old G-5 tower with two 1.8 Ghz
processors) and converted, by Toast for example, to full size HDV or
H.264, which both can be edited by any of the Apple's video editors.  I
am not aware, however, of any editor capable of working on AVCHD directly.
I paid for it $799 at Sams and I think the current Sams price is $599.

Anyway, my two cents.

I hope this helps to explore the possibilities there are today, at the
time I bought mine, there was no information available how or if it
would work with Mac, but I bought it because of the new AVCHD standard
speculating that it would then or soon after be Mac compatible.  It was
from the day one.

Rauno.