[MacDV] Re: closed captioning

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon May 18 22:09:23 PDT 2009

> Is there anyone on the
> list who knows about closed captioning and Final Cut Pro Studio2?
> I am working on a 1-hr. documentary and had planned to send it away
> to add closed captioning. Now my question is how do I get the
> closed captions to DVD? The company I contacted will return the
> caption master to me on DVCAM. The more I research the less I
> understand :-)   Will I lose the CC line if I bring it back into
> FCP?

Closed Captioning is a very lame technology.  You have no control
over font, size, color, screen position, phrase boundaries, number of
text lines displayed, or anything else of importance in presenting
the text.  You get words on black bars that completely block the
video image.

DVD title tracks give you much more control over text presentation,
including all the elements mentioned above, and several more,
including two outline colors and opacity.  In addition, you can have
something like 32 different user-selectable title tracks on a DVD.

It is often said that the difference between Closed Captioning and
titles is that former includes sound cues such as [wind noise],
[applause], [laughter], etc, whereas the latter does not.  But this
has nothing to do with the technology.  Indications of sound are
often absent from Closed Captioning (although they shouldn't be), and
can be included at will on DVD title tracks.  It is quite reasonable
to offer one title track with dialog plus the sound cues, and another
with only the dialog.  Generating the second track, deleting the
sound cues from a properly prepared captioning transcript for the
first track, can be done in minutes, using the search and replace
feature of a word processor, and importing the result into DVD Studio
Pro.  Although some manual adjustments might be necessary.

Final Cut Studio can handle both Closed Captioning and DVD title
tracks.  I have thankfully never had to deal with creating or editing
Closed Captioning.  I've done plenty of title tracks, and Final Cut
has pretty good tools for working with them.  Although I have a
wish-list for several additional features.  Title tracks can be
created (typed in) within Final Cut, or imported from a plain text
file, or from any of several formats used by captioning software.  In
every case, the title duration, position, and other attributes can be
changed at any time within DVD Studio Pro.

If you have any control over the decision, I suggest avoiding Closed
Captioning, and using DVD title tracks.  This choice might not work
for you, if the DVD is intended to be played over broadcast TV with
Closed Captioning.  But then again, maybe it would be fine.  I don't
know if Closed Captioning from a DVD will translate to broadcast TV,
nor that a DVD title track couldn't be used.  Talking to your Public
Access TV engineer might help you learn the answers to those
questions.

Further delineating my ignorance, I don't know if you can import
Closed Captioning into Final Cut Studio from a DVCAM tape.  My
reading of the Apple Pro Training Manual for DVD Studio Pro makes me
think that the answer is "no."  A Google search on the subject also
didn't bring up any way to bring Closed Captioning from tape into DVD
Studio Pro.  Perhaps it can come back into Final Cut Pro, and be sent
from there to DVD Studio Pro.

Good luck,

Derek

Derek Roff