[MacDV] Why Final Cut Pro training?

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Oct 7 14:29:06 PDT 2009

If you are producing a reasonable quantity of videos, it is likely that
the training will pay for itself rapidly.  Editing video is a slow
process at best.  As sb mentions, self-taught people seldom find their
way to "best practices."  I'm basically self-taught, and each editing
class or workshop that I have taken has improved my productivity
substantially.

Learning a few new techniques, tips, and improved procedures can shave
a lot of time off the editing process.  So it it reasonable to tell
your boss, that this training will make your future video editing
faster, better, and cheaper.  That's a rare combination of advantages.

Derek

> Everybody learns their own way, and as in most things you learn one
> method and you stick to it.

> You may be taking a roundabout method to get where you want, or you
> may be taking a path that degrades your image quality, or you may
> simply not be using the best tool, the best techniques, but you do
> what you know.

> You may in fact know nothing more than a portion of the application?s
>  capabilities. This is typical of most self-taught people. Unless you
>  have an instructor who can systematically go through the
> applications   and show you its capabilities you may never know what
> you?re missing. Most instructors can give you insights into ways to
> improve your   workflow, your technique, and your finished product,
> as well as to   improve your entire production process.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico