[MacDV] Storage

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Tue Feb 16 18:06:31 PST 2010

With terabyte hard drives now available for $100-200 (last time I
considered this project, they were around $1,000!), I'm thinking
again of a major VHS conversion project that would start with about
100 hours of tapes. I figure that once the files are edited down
to about 45 mins. each, I can export uncompressed QuickTime from
iMovie and it will all fit on a terabyte drive.

Is uncompressed QT a format that should have a decent shelf-life?
I realize that it's been around for a long time now, and AFAIK is
not likely to disappear any time soon, but when I first thought of
this project, DVDs seemed like a sure bet, too, and now those are
starting to face extinction. (Although not right away.) However,
I would think that any compression format would be in even greater
danger of obsolescence than uncompressed QT, so that probably is
still my best bet, yes?

BTW, Jeanette, I also use a Canopus A/D converter between my VHS
machine and my Mac. It does what it's supposed to with no muss,
no fuss.

Patty