[MacDV] Storage

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Feb 17 13:59:18 PST 2010

> I figure that once the files are edited down
> to about 45 mins. each, I can export uncompressed QuickTime from
> iMovie and it will all fit on a terabyte drive.
>
> Is uncompressed QT a format that should have a decent shelf-life?

The short answer is yes, but I think there is value in describing the
process with a little more precision.  QuickTime isn't a format.  In
fact, QuickTime is hard to pin down, because Apple has applied the name
to a group of related things.  If we are talking about a QuickTime
video file, it could still contain more than a dozen different types
and encodings of video, most with several possible variations.

When we export video from iMovie 6 to QuickTime Full Quality, we will
get DV video in a QuickTime wrapper (more properly, DV25, unless you're
working with HDV video, or another of the few video formats that iMovie
6 can edit).  DV is a great file format and video format for archiving.
It preserves the original quality, is widely supported, and is a good
editing format.  There is so much DV video around, related to products
from many vendors, that some level of support is likely to be common in
new video programs for a long time to come.

If you are exporting to QuickTime from iMovie 8 or 9, it's harder to
predict what you will be getting.  iMovie 8 and 9 can handle more video
formats than iMovie 6.  What you export will depend on what you
originally imported, and whether it was converted within iMovie 8/9.
Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro can work with even more types of
video.  All will export to QuickTime at Full Quality, all the resulting
files will be QuickTime video files, and it may be hard to recognize
what the internal video format of the resulting file is.  Some of these
formats will not be supported nearly as long as DV video will.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100