[MacDV] Blu Ray

Alan ma501guy at aol.com
Sun Oct 3 05:20:55 PDT 2010

It remains a surprise and disappointment that for licensing reasons ALONE, Apple has not provided direct support
for blu-ray burning....I have a Mac Pro and use an amazing Sony EX1 digital 3 chip camcorder, and to have to dumb
down a project just to fit onto a regular dvd is tragic!  BUT there are solutions, and although Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio
Pro both support to some degree blu-ray burning, you can always get a 3rd party blu-ray burner that WILL work on your mac!
I have an LG internal burner that was designed for use in a PC, but it works perfectly fine using Toast Titanium 10 for the Mac.
The software is specifically designed to burn DVD's in blu-ray on a Mac.  I've had great success doing so on projects that I want' to
preserve in the highest format, and few times I have clients willing to pay the premium price for that option.
IF you do a google search for dv pro, blu-ray, user group, you'll find even more info.
There is a company that provides 3rd party support for such products, www.powerbook1.com, and they feature on their home page this exact
capability, or you can use an external via firewire or usb 2.0, but they are expensive compared to what I purchased at a local Best Buy store,
the LG blu-ray internal burner, for $200 US.
good luck
Alan
Cambridge Video