[MacDV] Final Cut Pro X

Ronald Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Tue Aug 23 10:05:28 PDT 2011

FCP should have better support for AVCHD, which is the encoding method used by the Sony NEX-VG10 HD camera.  I have not tried in FCP X though.  I've read that it supports AVCHD import, so I'm not sure why this is an issue for your friend.  Of course, tape-based cameras store video in the DV codec, which is well supported in FCP and FCP X.

In FCP, you can view and import AVCHD through the Log and Capture menu item.  It will read AVCHD for viewing through Log and Capture. When actually capturing, it converts the video to the Apple Pro Res codec.

That is the only way I have read or been able to view AVCHD in FCP.  Again, I've not tried in FCP X yet.