[MG] Monitor selection

Robert Mohns rmohns at mac.com
Thu Nov 6 09:06:50 PST 2003

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 08:29  AM, Nevin Steindam wrote:

> Really old powerbooks had "passive matrix" screens that left shadows
> behind
> for a half second or so as their images changed.  It was really
> annoying,
> and pretty difficult to use for a game where lots of things were
> moving on
> the screen at once.  Maybe that's what was meant by lag?
>
> Anyway, don't worry about that -- I haven't seen a new passive matrix
> monitor in years.

however, i have seen many cheap flat panel monitors in stores which,
despite being active matrix displays, have absolutely terrible
ghosting.  most of the major brands (samsung, sony, apple, ibm) will
provide a good gaming display, but test drive the really cheap ones
before you buy.

i believe that formac advertises that their displays have very low
pixel response times -- 10-25 ms, vs 40 for apple's displays --, so if
it's really important, it may be worth looking at formac displays.
their 17" model starts at $600 for ADC or VGA, or $640 for DVI.

http://www.formac.com/

note that i do not own their product and simply provide this as
information.  personally, i'm fond of IBM's flat panels.  they have
nice, simple, elegant design and start at $360.  i really like my IBM
15" VGA flat panel.  it's an older T540 model, but it's spiffy.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/accessories/monitors/t_allmodels.html

robert
--
Robert Mohns  *  rmohns at us.ncipher.com  *  http://www.ncipher.com/
               "It is right to be taught, even by an enemy."  -Ovid