[MPA] Recording for CD Sound Level with Digi001 and Mackie 1202VLZ-Pro

Luke Snarl luke at snarl.org
Wed Feb 19 15:33:46 PST 2003

yep, I agree - sounds like you have your drums too loud in the mix and
are struggling to get your lead/vocals to compete.

As Jeff suggests do the mix the other way round.

Don't worry too much about getting the mix as loud as possible in
ProTools, rather mix the track down to a stereo file after you have got
the mix sounding balanced and then compress that afterwards in a
mastering application - a lot of hobbyists use T-racks but any multiband
compressor will help.

Now after saying all that I'm going to get you all to read this:

http://rvcc2.raritanval.edu/ktek9053/cdpage/

Isn't it ironic that CD has the highest dynamic range of any consumer
format (except HiFi video) but everyone feels the need to totally
flatten their music (dynamics-wise) just to get it to sound 'loud' thus
not making use of the format's benefits....

:L uke, out.
http://snarl.org