[MPA] Proper software?

Scott Jacob Loehr scott.loehr at verizon.net
Wed Jan 8 12:09:41 PST 2003

I use Toast for CD-R and DVD-R archiving, and I use Jam for Red Book
Audio CD masters.  However... there's one little thing missing from
Jam - the ability to manually insert track markers (and index
numbers).  To to that, you have to use a stereo audio editor that
lets you capture Regions (Spark, Peak, or SoundDesignerII) first.
Then, in Jam, you add a new track based on Regions and you're good to
go.
	Another reason for the audio editor... that's where you'll
edit (delete portions, fade) to get to a final stereo document.  I do
almost all of my editing in Digital Performer... I've found that
A/B-roll style volume crossfades work much more seamlessly.  Usually,
I'll have the crossfades occupy about 3 milliseconds.  Some
crossfades take longer; it all gets dictated by my ears.  Many times,
finding the best edit also involves creative EQ, panning, and
plug-ins (typically reverb), so a multitrack environment gives you
all the tools for any edit.  Plus, it's all non-destructive to your
original files.
	I'd recommend Spark and Jam.  Plus, having a DVD-R burner
makes it way easier to archive large projects... you can put 79
minutes, 59 seconds on a CD-R, but you can't archive the final 800 MB
stereo audio files on one disc.  When you factor in your original
files, edited files, and eventual Image File (you MUST burn from
this!!!  Trust me....), you can get the whole project archived on one
DVD-R disc instead of 5 or 6 CD-R discs.

Good luck!
Scott Jacob Loehr