[MPA] STEVE JOBS IS GOD

Peter Kirn peterkirn at mac.com
Thu Jan 9 11:14:54 PST 2003

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 12:57 PM, Lance Trickey wrote:

> IHMO, DVD-RW is a waste of time. I can buy DVD-R for $4 each and in 8
> months they'll be < $2.
>
> the time that it takes to erase one of those suckers is worth $4 , and
> soon much less, to just toss it in the trash and get a fresh one off
> the spindle.

Not if you're doing regular project backups to DVD-RW. Just let the
copying run in the background in that case. That'd get mighty expensive
if you want to backup your audio projects every evening, for instance.
DVD-RW is terrific for that.

Hopefully we'll see the same price and performance improvements in
writable DVDs that we saw in writable CDs -- no idea here of the
technical challenges, I'm not an engineer, but I can hope! In the
meantime, DVD-R and DVD-RW are both great solutions for the time being.
Combine DVD archiving/backup with HD backup and you have a fantastic
data transfer routine, on the cheap!

Peter Kirn