STEVE JOBS IS GOD

Lance Trickey lancetrickey at mac.com
Fri Jan 10 08:32:48 PST 2003

On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 08:31  AM, Mac Pro Audio List wrote:

> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:14:54 -0500
> Subject: Re: STEVE JOBS IS GOD
> From: Peter Kirn <peterkirn at mac.com>
>

> On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 12:57 PM, Lance Trickey wrote:
>
>> IHMO, DVD-RW is a waste of time. I can buy DVD-R for $4 each and in 8
>> months they'll be < $2.
>>
>> the time that it takes to erase one of those suckers is worth $4 , and
>> soon much less, to just toss it in the trash and get a fresh one off
>> the spindle.
>
> Not if you're doing regular project backups to DVD-RW. Just let the
> copying run in the background in that case. That'd get mighty expensive
> if you want to backup your audio projects every evening, for instance.
> DVD-RW is terrific for that.
>
> Hopefully we'll see the same price and performance improvements in
> writable DVDs that we saw in writable CDs -- no idea here of the
> technical challenges, I'm not an engineer, but I can hope! In the
> meantime, DVD-R and DVD-RW are both great solutions for the time being.
> Combine DVD archiving/backup with HD backup and you have a fantastic
> data transfer routine, on the cheap!
>
> Peter Kirn

I accept that there are valid applications for DVD-RW. Personally, I
never used CD-RW for the same reason.

On price , I spoke too soon,

"* Standard WHITE Thermal GP DVD-R 4.7GB, spindled .... from $ 0.79
   http://Americal.com/cgi-bin/smart_cart2.cgi?keywords=702886
   (in 25-paks only $1.29, 90-paks only $1.07 ea, Stock No. 702886)"