[MPA] electric piano & midi files

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 30 18:34:03 PST 2003

Gilly,

As far as I know all digital pianos that have a disk drive write
standard MIDI files to the disk.  I think all digital pianos use a DOS
format for their disk drive, but that is O.K. because Mac's can read
this format.  No special disk is required, just a standard 3.5 inch.

The superdrive should be just fine.

Sometimes Mac MIDI programs have a problem reading MIDI files from a
DOS format,  There is a simple little freeware utility that fixes this
called MIDI Typer.  It is available here:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Mac/midi.html

This won't work in OS X on your Mac, if you are using OS X.    I don't
know if there is something else that will.  Of course you might not
have any problem, so you wouldn't need this utility anyway.

Most digital pianos have a MIDI out connection, so with a simple MIDI
interface you could record from your piano directly into the Mac. That
way you wouldn't need to have a keyboard with a disk drive.  Just a
thought.

Good luck,

Scott