[MPA] "Mix CD" Consistent Loudness

Scott Jacob Loehr scott.loehr at verizon.net
Sun Jul 6 00:32:58 PDT 2003

>Hi,
>I'm wondering what people are doing in the following situation. Say
>you are making a "mix CD" (or even a CD of your own music) where the
>tracks are all taken from different sources, and hence have
>different apparent "loudness" or volume. What approach do you use to
>make all the tracks have the same loudness? Is there an automated
>method, or do you simply listen to all the tracks over and over
>again and tweak them until they are what you consider to be "equal
>loudness"?
>-jd

	I do all my work in MOTU's Digital Performer (24-bit, usually
44.1 k), and I've frequently had to put tracks from different sources
(cassette, DAT, CD, reel, etc.) and studios onto one CD.  I usually
record each stereo file onto two mono tracks (panned hard L & R) to
match levels (lots of stuff isn't mixed or copied correctly).  I
often have to draw in a lot of volume data via automation to get each
stereo pair to sit more or less correctly, and I'll use a master
fader to boost & cut overall volumes for each tune.  I'll apply a
seperate EQ to each mono track or stereo pair if needed; rarely does
one EQ setting work for all tracks when they're from many sources.  I
never use compression; I don't like what it does, especially to final
mixes.  If I'm just going after volume adjustments, I'd rather draw
it in manually.  Once I'm happy with overall volumes, EQ, and the
spacing between tunes, I'll play back the entire file and check for
any peak overloads.  If there is more than 6 dB of headroom at the
loudest parts, I'll raise the levels on the master fader by a few dB.
Then I bounce to stereo (still at 24-bit), and I open the file in
either Spark or SoundDesigner2.  Here's where things can get really
tedious:  I'll search for the peak of the whole stereo file and
evaluate whether or not I can re-draw the waveform to decrease the
volume.  If it's an isolated transient, like a drum hit or some kind
of plosive sound effect, I can usually smooth off anywhere from three
to ten dB.  If it's any type of sustained sound, I don't go any
further, other than to perhaps gradually lower the volume during that
section, though this usually only nets me two to four dB of headroom.
I then bounce the file down to 16-bit.  I open up the file in Jam,
and I test-normalize the bounce, then reduce the gain by 0.1 dB just
in case.  I save the Jam file as an Image File and press a test CD,
then I listen to the final in three environments:  headphones, my
studio monitors, and in my car while driving (generally on the
freeway with the A/C running).  I realize that this entire process is
very time consuming, but I don't like cutting corners.  If I need
further assistance, I'll consult with some of my other engineer
friends in town.  Worst case scenario, I could always send the file
to a professional mastering facility, if the budget allows.
	Of course, if I'm just making a "mix CD" (or "LCD", as I like
to call them, as in Lowest Common Denominator with regards to
quality, such as mp3 files), I'll just normalize each song in Jam and
keep my fingers ready to adjust the playback volume knob while I'm
listening.

Scott Jacob Loehr