Pro Tools question

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org
Thu Jul 31 00:18:17 PDT 2003

I don't know if this is a profoundly dumb question or not but here goes:

I've been using Cubase since I started and haven't played too much with
the other big apps (mostly because when I did look at them in the days
of OS 9 I didn't like the interface as well so I never pursued them
further).

Trying to expand my universe a bit, I've been thinking about testing
Digital Performer 4.0 and also Pro Tools 6. A colleague of mine who
works at Eventide just got a Digi001 in trade for another piece of gear
and is really enjoying it. He gave me his Pro Tools CD to play around
with on my G4 MDD Dual 1Ghz . I installed it and got the error message
"could not create DAE deck" or "could not find DigiDesign hardware".

Does the PT software really only run with PT hardware?? My MOTU 2408
isn't good enough for it? Will it not work unless I buy the Digi001
rack box or the Mbox? I guess that's how they could efficiently stop
the "loaning" of software and I suppose it would serve me right for
using my friend's CD in this case (but I really didn't want to spend
big bucks to only test the waters).

But is it true - will I need the $500 -$1000 hardware pieces in order
to run Pro Tools and will it really not utilize third party hardware
such as the MOTU interfaces?

Kat