iMac MIDI set-up

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 2 07:22:53 PDT 2003

Rom writes:

DECK, from BIAS (www.bias-inc) is an audio-only application, with cursory
MIDI support, largely limited to direct import of a MIDI file, and no
editing. I used in for 8 year through version 2.6, when it was an OSC
product, then bought by Macromedia. I, and other users, have found the
newer versions, including 3.5.x, to be unstable and unreliable.
Reluctantly, I switched to ProTools LE using the USB connected mBox. I say
"reluctantly" because I still had 8 years worth of archived material in
DECK, but I must say I am happy with the switch. Your note suggests that
you are primarily doing MIDI based music production. You don't mention
audio recording. If you are doing both, you will find ProTools a good
choice. A free version (not a tryout, but limited in the number of tracks)
on the Digidesign website. Unfortunately, unlike Pro Tools LE, it will not
run in OSX or in classic mode. Yes, it will run in 9 using OMS. I believe
that, in OSX, OMS has been replaced by the system's internal MIDI support.

If your iMac can boot into OS9.2, you might want to consider trying Pro
Tools Free. Another program I really enjoy using is Mark of the Unicorn's
FREESTYLE, which is MIDI only, but very intuitive and musical. In any case,
yes, you will need a USB interface and MIDI cables to connect your iMac to
your Yamaha. Some of the Yamaha keyboards and tone modules have a Mac
*serial* direct connect interface, but it doesn't work with USB, to my
knowledge.

Good luck.

Bobbo

New Photopaintings at http://www.bobbogoldberg.com