[MPA] 80's music

T at W lsp93 at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 4 10:07:18 PDT 2003

Hi Luke,
thanks for response. I knew somebody on this list would know about the
greatness of industrial music.

 Luke Snarl historified:
[snip]
>hey here's a question:
>"hot on the heals of love" by Throbbing Gristle from 1981 - what gear
>was used for the drums and acid line and lead melody synth?

On "20 Jazz Funk Greats" (1979) the players are:
-Chris Carter [Roland Synths,Sequencers,Rhytms and Vocals];
-CoseyFanniTutti (a former pornstar)[Satellite
LeadGuitar,GizmoGuitar,Synth,Cornet and Vocals]
(btw these two formed Chris&Cosey/CTI);
-PeterChristopherson (formed Coil with his
loverboy)[Tapes,Vibes,Cornet,Vocals];
-Genesis P-Orridge (PsychicTV) [BassGuitars,Violin,Vibes,Synths and Vocals]

Sequencers & Synths are most probably Korgs (MS50&MS10/20). Rhythms too but
could also be tapeloops. I've to listen to that song again to find out.
(There were/are also the Roland Juno and Jupiter or EMS or Oberheim synths.
Check a vintage synth site for the timeline.)
For the young on this list:
Yes kids,there were proper (analogue) synths before the digital surrogates
came to surface. In a world with colorful sounds, not imitations.
Controlled by Voltage.

[snip]
>now TG was a band who knew about trance (and i mean
>psycho-/physio-logical trance here)
>but i mean using trance as a part of ritual for self discovery, often
>involving body-modification and usually live on-stage

Yeah, the real stuff, getting high on pounding machine noises.
Check "The Haters" or "Whitehouse" for ultimate harshness.

[snip]
Although I'm not following any of my favorites any longer, mucho gracias
for the links.

And about  Severed Heads' earlier work: no Trance can beat that trance.
Damn big "City Slab Horror" with her "Dead Eyes Opened".
(And then the kid got money and destroyed SH).

>From the North,
TAW

PS. Ah that wonderful Australia.
Do you happen to know the band "Not Drowning, Waving"?