[MPA] Audio Interface Advice?

Brian K. Shiratsuki bks at usa.net
Sat Jan 24 12:56:43 PST 2004

> From: "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com>
> Subject: [MPA] Audio Interface Advice?
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:09:41 -0800 (PST)
>
> I'm looking to replace my current system for doing Audio work.
> Currently I
> have a PowerMac 8500/180 with 160MB RAM, a Echo Audio Darla24
> Soundcard,
> and I'm using Bias Peak 2.x (2.1 I think, it's about 4 years old)...
>
> Given the use, I want pretty much as high of quality audio interface
> as I
> can get.  How good of quality is the G5's onboard digital audio
> interface?
> What sort of interfaces would people recommend?

the g5's analog input is specified as 20Hz to 20kHz +0.5, -3dB, with
signal to noise unspecified.  this is certainly a step downwards from
the darla24 and any other decent add-on card, though perhaps adequate
for archiving 78's.

have you tried installing the darla24 into the g5?  i didn't have any
luck with a gina20 in a g4, but maybe you'll do better.  while the
gina20 was physically compatible, it failed to work at all.  if the
darla24 is 3.3V or universal, it would be physically compatible with
the g5's pci-x bus and worth a try.  the disadvantage is that an
installed pci card like the darla24 will slow the bus down drastically,
a consideration if you have anything else plugged into it.

echoaudio has os x drivers.

brian