[MPA] GarageBand is ok...

John simplymail at ururk.com
Tue Jun 1 09:34:56 PDT 2004

>> length in beats, etc... I am not a musician, so it would be nice to
>> have it in minutes. This is for audio (speech) editing.
>
> Just to the right of the counter you'll see a little musical note.
> Click on
> it, and the counter will become a real time clock.

Thanks!

>> One huge file, instead of a folder with the individual files in it. If
>> I end up editing a conference, I am going to have to break the talks
>> up
>> into small pieces, such that can fit one project on CD (no DVD-R).
>> Does
>> an Archive do this?
>
> See below, if I understand the question.

No, like this. PTFree had a project file, source files, in individual
folders. GB bundles everything in a Package. I can take separate source
files out of this package, but I don't know what kind of effect that
could have on the link of imported audio to the project file. There is
"Save as Archive", but I haven't been that adventurous...

> Soundtrack is better if you are working with loops. But GB is better
> for recording.

I have prerecorded tracks (MD->Audio CD), that I was able to drag and
drop into GB. Regardless, from the comments here, I think I'll stick
with GB.

> Or "the Mac Addict guide to Making Music with GarageBand" by yours
> truly. $16.99 at Amazon.

I'll take a look at it, although I don't do too many edits per year,
two "talks", plus one big conference. If this is essentially what
PTFree came with (a large PDF that goes in depth on how PT and PTFree
work), I will probably get it.

Thanks for all the responses! The project turned out well, if only
because the people who I recorded are good speakers.

John Pariseau