[MPA] USB v FireWire

Luke Snarl luke at snarl.org
Wed May 5 18:08:22 PDT 2004

It really just depends how many channels of audio you need to move
between the computer and the sound interface at the same time (in both
directions)

USB 1.1 will happily handle 8 channels with a bit of room left over for
MIDI etc

USB 2 and FW are able to do many more - but if the interface only has 6
ins and 2 outs (for example) then there is no need for anything other
than USB1.1

The macs will still have FW sockets on them so you could (in the
future) expand to a different sound interface capable of simultaneous
more channels (and a FW connector).... (but you'd have to check it
worked with ProTools)

:L

> On May 5, 2004, at 3:02 PM, Colin McDonald wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> It is likely that every school in my area is going to be provided
>> with a dedicated Sound Engineering workstation based on a iMac and
>> ProTools, with some decent mics (sorry can't remember which) and
>> Tannoy powered monitors.  I saw the set up today and met the new
>> consultant (experienced and qualified engineer) who is providing the
>> training. This is fantastic news, after years of struggling with
>> really baseline PCs (HP eVectras) on a very slow network and almost
>> complete ignorance of requirements for audio and MIDI from the
>> contractor.
>>
>> Just one thing bothers me. The interfaces between the mics etc and
>> the Macs are to be M-Audio USB. I would have thought it would be
>> better to go FireWire, even if only to future-proof the
>> installations. The engineer says she hasn't ever used FireWire audio
>> (external HDs excepted).
>>
>> What do you guys think?
>>
>> Colin McDonald

Sub Bass Snarl sound system