[MPA] USB v FireWire

Cyril Blanc blanc.cyril at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 6 02:12:28 PDT 2004

On 5/5/04 11:02 PM, "Colin McDonald" <cmmcdonald at mac.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> It is likely that every school in my area is going to be provided with
> a dedicated Sound Engineering workstation based on a iMac and ProTools,
> with some decent mics (sorry can't remember which) and Tannoy powered
> monitors.  I saw the set up today and met the new consultant
> (experienced and qualified engineer) who is providing the training.
> This is fantastic news, after years of struggling with really baseline
> PCs (HP eVectras) on a very slow network and almost complete ignorance
> of requirements for audio and MIDI from the contractor.
>
> Just one thing bothers me. The interfaces between the mics etc and the
> Macs are to be M-Audio USB. I would have thought it would be better to
> go FireWire, even if only to future-proof the installations. The
> engineer says she hasn't ever used FireWire audio (external HDs
> excepted).
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Colin McDonald

The ideal is PCI audio cards, but I don't think you can put a PCI card Imac
!

What you must do is not to put your eggs in the same basket, if you think to
have FW disk with FW audio interface and to use your FW disk for audio
storage you may be in trouble !
If you have a FW audio you must use the internal HD to put your recording.

All is a question of how many tracks you want to record and play.
May be your solution is to have a FW audio and a BIG and Fast disk in the
Imac, they propose in option a 160 GB, you must check it is a 7200 rpm

Best

Cyril Blanc
Independent Quantum Leap Symphony orchestra forum (QLSO) for Mac
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qlso/"