[MPA] Logic Express Pricing from Apple

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusicareOnline.org
Wed Oct 6 11:04:48 PDT 2004

Just curious - wondering if I'm the only one that thinks this is
wrong....

I purchased Logic Express 6 from Apple about 45 days ago. Brand new. I
bought it thru the Education Store for $149 (regular pricing is $299).

Logic Express 7 just came out. I thought that since I just made this
brand new in the box purchase so recently that an upgrade at no cost
would be the appropriate thing to offer customers - say to those who
had just purchased their new software within 60 days of this revamped
version being released.

On the website there IS an upgrade price of $99 for regular store
customers. That's 1/3 the cost of the whole program (at $299). So, I
then assumed that the upgrade price for those who paid $149 for the
whole program would also be 1/3 - which comes to $49.

There is no "free" upgrade if you just purchased Logic Express 6 before
the release of 7.
There is no "$49" upgrade if you want to move up to 7 from 6.

Basically, if you shelled out the full $149 for the brand new version a
few weeks ago, you now must pay the $99 upgrade path that was
implemented for the $299 pricing OR you might even have to pay a whole
new $149 for the new Logic 7 because the $99 upgrade may not install or
be compatible with the "academic" priced Logic 6 (although I doubt this
theory since the box for Logic 6 still has eMagic on it and Made In
Germany and NO mention of Academic on it anywhere - I think Apple just
priced it academically but there probably is not any difference in
serial numbers etc...)

Before I get branded as a complainer let me say that I do indeed
recognize the wonderful educational pricing of $149 for my software. I
thought I was making a great savings and great deal. I knew Logic 7
would be out someday but could not see it anywhere soon on the horizon
so I bought now. I appreciate that I have this at half price from
regular retail of $299. But let's be realistic about the rest of the
problem: Having to pay the same amount again or even $99 just to get
the latest version only weeks later seems quite unfair. If Apple
doesn't want to honor a 30 or 60 day arrangement for people who just
freshly bought this version of 6, well that's their choice. But at
least offer fair pricing for those of us who paid $149 just a few weeks
ago. I wouldn't squawk about paying $49 to get version 7. But having to
put out almost the same amount of money is ridiculous.

Basically, my purchase of Logic Express 6 in August was a complete
burning of money. I have to rebuy it all over again because there is no
fair upgrade price or complimentary upgrade.

There are many other software companies out there who offer free or
reduced price upgrades to their latest version for those people who
JUST freshly bought an outdated version. At the very least, if Apple
knew that Logic Express 7 was just weeks away from shipping out the
door, what kind of ethics do they have to continue selling Express 6
right up to the last minute with NO notice to customers that 7 will be
out within a month or so and that their purchase will be honored for a
free upgrade? They should have announced this and allowed people the
opportunity to either wait for 7 or to purchase now and get a voucher
for a free upgrade to 7 or reduced price upgrade to 7 when it was
released.

Am I the only one who thinks this timing loophole is a bit unfair?

Kathy