[MPA] Logic Express Pricing from Apple

Jamie Pruden m3gunner at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 6 11:31:33 PDT 2004

Hi Kathy,

Frustrating? Heck yes!
Unfair? Probably not.

You might want to take a look at the license agreement that was
included with the product. I'd be willing to bet that the license
agreement says something similar to "Educational versions cannot be
upgraded." This is pretty typical for Educational products. Try reading
Adobe's license agreement... it also includes a statement that
Educational software cannot be resold at all.

In addition, most software companies will upgrade your *new* software,
but the cutoff is usually 30 days. This really killed me when I bought
Retrospect Server 5.1 ($549) for my school 40 days before the upgrade.
They reconfigured the software so that there really isn't a comparable
product... the "upgrade" (really a new product) price was almost as
much as the full price on the original product. Ugh.

I'm not saying that you asked for your situation, because you didn't. I
am saying that there is no free lunch... and there's a reason that the
software is so inexpensive for educational customers.

smiles,
Jamie "Read your license agreement and weep" Pruden

On Oct 6, 2004, at 11:04 AM, KathyMac! wrote:

> Just curious - wondering if I'm the only one that thinks this is
> wrong....
>
> I purchased Logic Express 6 from Apple about 45 days ago. Brand new. I
> bought it thru the Education Store for $149 (regular pricing is $299).
>
> Logic Express 7 just came out. I thought that since I just made this
> brand new in the box purchase so recently that an upgrade at no cost
> would be the appropriate thing to offer customers - say to those who
> had just purchased their new software within 60 days of this revamped
> version being released.
>
> On the website there IS an upgrade price of $99 for regular store
> customers. That's 1/3 the cost of the whole program (at $299). So, I
> then assumed that the upgrade price for those who paid $149 for the
> whole program would also be 1/3 - which comes to $49.
>
> There is no "free" upgrade if you just purchased Logic Express 6
> before the release of 7.
> There is no "$49" upgrade if you want to move up to 7 from 6.
<snip>