[MPA] Sound Studio Advice Needed

Jay Shaffer jshaf at jayshaffer.com
Thu Sep 16 08:20:20 PDT 2004

Well put Alan!
Richard, I've designed a couple pro studios, and I always put the CPUs
and recorders in an machine room to keep the control room quiet.
As far as a dream setup goes. Two Xserve G5s and a Xserve raid. With
one for audio and the the other for soft synths and effects through VST
System link or studiolink. The advantages of being able to put the
computers in a rack is huge in terms of being able to control sound and
also power. Good clean mains power is probably the second most
important consideration when building a studio. (acoustic isolation
being #1)
I am pretty much anti-Pro Tools and would go for Logic or Cubase XL or
Nuendo instead, especially on your side of the pond. Audio interface
wise MOTU 828MkII for firewire or MOTU pci-424 w a 24i/o (which is now
G5 compatable BTW)
The Yamaha 01 series are good Mixer/controller/interfaces.
Future Music and Sound on Sound magazines are good resources for your
research.
Best of luck.
--
Jay Shaffer