[MPA] Sound Studio Advice Needed

John simplymail at ururk.com
Sat Sep 25 11:45:37 PDT 2004

>> Power Mac G5 is definitely what you'll want for a dream setup, dual
>> processors for sure, maxed out RAM and high-speed hard drives of
>> course.
>
> I do like the idea of G5s with 8Gig RAM but various folks in London
> have opined that 8 Gig is over the top
>
> Anybody here know for sure ?
>
> As ever many thanks

(I may have missed the question asked, as I deleted the original)

Basically, the way to figure this out:

Buy the machine, with a reasonable amount of RAM (1.5-2 GB), such that
the RAM is maxed out in those slots. Run a program that determines how
much RAM is being used, how much is free (I use Menu Meters). If you
find that in the course of your work you need more RAM, buy it from a
company that is reputable, offers a lifetime warranty, and ships free.
Often RAM is much cheaper that Apple's prices. Crucial in the USA
offers all these, and I haven't had any issues on any of the machines I
put Crucial RAM in (3 MDD G4's, 2 PM G5 DP 2ghz, PB G4 550, Al PB G4,
17"), over the course of 2 years (well, when each machine was
released).

However, I do not know if they service overseas.

I do not work in the audio world (just occasional editing, recording),
but one of my coworkers has a 2 DP G5 (of which, I told him, his
computer was obsoleted at the slowest rate I'd ever seen) at home, and
does do audio editing (video mostly) on it. I could ask what amount of
RAM he has.