[MPA] Pitch & Quarter Inch Tape

Williams' Mastering brucewll at comcast.net
Sun Nov 20 14:42:52 PST 2005

Your task would be much easier if you work with the analog sound - here's
why. The open reel tape speeds are doubled for each standard in inches per
second.

The common speeds were - 1 7/8 ips, 3 3/4 ips, 7.5 ips, 15 ips, 30 ips.

The playback deck you are using likely has 2 or 3 speeds, just not the one
you need. Make sure the pitch control is at its detent position, then dub to
a digital format. Then switch the open reel deck to its highest speed and
record back from your dub. I'll bet you can then cycle down to the "correct"
playback and use that pitch control to zero in on the perfect tuning.

Good Luck -

Robert