[MacUSB] Re: USB software upgrades for beige G3/233

Eugene Gierson eugenegierson at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 7 22:19:45 PST 2003

I did a google search for usb 1.4.1
And the following was one of the things i found.
Yes, USB  1.4.1 is needed for an added card.

         Apple Releases
USB Adapter Card Support 1.4.1 drivers
         September 5, 2000

Apple today (September 5, 2000) released a new version of its USB Adapter Card Support drivers
English-International version. The new version, 1.4.1, is available for download from
Apple's Web site. Mac OS 9 users can also download and install the drivers using the
Software Update control panel.

These drivers have been developed by Apple to provide a uniform system driver set for
Macintoshes that have had third-party adapter cards installed to provide them with USB
device support. The drivers are not designed for those Macs and PowerBooks that already
include USB interfaces from the factory -- the drivers are designed for PCI-equipped Macs
and Cardbus-equipped PowerBooks that have had USB interfaces added onto them.

The driver set is designed to support USB cards that comply with the Open Host Controller
Interface (OHCI) specification, and may not work with some third-party cards that do not
support OHCI. Apple recommends that users check with the manufacturers of their USB
adapter cards to make sure of the card's OHCI status before installing the drivers.

USB Adapter Card Support 1.4.1 works with any International English version of Mac OS 8.6
or later; users with Mac OS 8.5.1 are directed to download USB Adapter Card Support
version 1.2 instead (check Apple's Web site for links).