G3/USB

Michael Dyer myke at bmts.com
Sun Jan 12 08:24:13 PST 2003

I'm going to throw this out to the group...

I've been following threads, going to the usual web sites (lowendmac,
xlr8, etc.) and I've racked my brain on this issue: my father bought
our family a HP colour printer (5550) and a PCI OrangeLink+ combo
card (as suggested by the vendor where he bought the printer) for my
Mac (BeigeG3/266 MT Rev A, 384RAM, OS9.2.2)

I've installed the card in slot 1 (as suggested by OrangeMicro),
installed the HP software, plugged in the USB cable and the printer
is not coming up in the chooser.

My own troubleshooting has included:

- trying the other slots
- getting rid of the 9.2.2 usb extensions and installing the 1.4.1 set
- trying possible extension conflicts

I'm concerned that the issue might have to do with usb 2 capabilities
of the card (and the printer), something not supported under 9.x. But
in digging around, it appears that the card is backwards compatible.

I should also point out that I see the USB slots in ASP, but not the
firewire. This afternoon I hope to try out the firewire capabilities.

Any thoughts, guidance?

Myke
--

Dyertribe