[MacUSB] Booting from USB

Barry Twycross barry at netbox.com
Wed Feb 25 20:17:50 PST 2004

At 10:48 PM -0500 2/25/04, Adriel wrote:

>Just joined the list. I am curious to se eif my Power MAC 7600 upgraded to
>G4/400 with an Orangelink Firewire/USB card can have a USB drive hooked to
>it to boot from as well as run apps from. I am on OS 9.1 and would like to
>install 9.2.2 on an external USB drive. So does it work? Anything I should
>be watchful of? Any drive recommendations? Do some boot and some don't?
>Could I in theory partition said drive to also run OSX 10.3?

You can't boot from USB.

USB booting depends on the ROM in the machine, not on anything else.
In this case machines which have AGP also have the right ROM (which
is a 1MB flash ROM). Those machines are iBooks and newer, including
Slot Loading iMacs, AGP G4s and "Pismo" PowerBooks.
--
Barry
Barry at netbox.com                       <http://www.netbox.com/barry>