How 10.2.3 fixed ViaVoice

John G justaguy3333 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 23 09:54:05 PST 2002

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, now that 10.2.3 is released, my NDA no
longer applies, and I can tell y'all what happened. We discussed the
USB stutter problem on this MacVoice list, and I called technical
support but they were useless.  I figured out it happened in other
apps besides ViaVoice, at 22kHz. So I signed up to be a beta tester
for Apple, got on the beta test team for 10.2.2 , and made them aware
of the bug and how serious it was.  They weren't able to fix it for
that release, but they immediately started 10.2.3, and fixed more
than one USB bug as part of the process.

Being a beta tester was a pretty big workload, and one of the
intermediate beta builds was defective, and ended up trashing my
system, so I'm about to do a complete reinstall.  But I've got to say
it was worth it, to have ViaVoice working again.

One of you says you still have the stutter problem ... are you sure?
Can you check that you properly installed the update? Does the
problem happen with other applications if you record at 22 kilohertz?

RevDave, you have had crashes when trying to save your voice model.
I also have had these crashes on occasion with Jaguar 10.2.3, but
then other times I do not.  When it crashes, I do not think that your
voice model is being updated at all, but I haven't tested.  Perhaps
uninstalling and reinstalling is helpful, I really don't know.

I'm off on vacation, see you in January!

--John Glenn