[MV] VoiceCenter - voice model update problem

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Sat Nov 23 01:45:28 PST 2002

>I have backed up my voice model many times -   and recently, when I went to
>quit VoiceCenter - it  asked - as it had done before - " VoiceCenter has
>enough data to update your voice model - shall we do this now? "
>
>...  When I tried to say okay after a minute or so, basically it's said
>there was an error - and mentioned something about a memory issue - which
>must be some old throwback prior to version 3.0 with 0 SX - which doesn't
>have memory adjustments (right?).  Anyway, I tried the two available choices
>- one was to cancel - and the other was to delete the modifications - and
>both crashed the program ( unexpectedly quit)

It sounds like this is related to the other bug under Jaguar that
causes problems if new words are found when documents are analyzed on
Save if the speech data is also saved.  Since I'm running Jaguar
these days I now open the Voice Center drawer and click on the
Assistant icon before opening SpeakPad to begin dictation.  I find
this has eliminated any problems that occur if ViaVoice needs to run
either the Analyze My Voice or Analyze my Documents assistant.  Yes
this leaves a big white rectangle in the center of your screen, but
other windows can cover it up--and IMO it's worth it to avoid
problems until IBM comes up with a fix.  You may want to try this
procedure yourself.  BTW there can still be memory issues under OS X;
but the user cannot control how much memory an application uses.
Also, I have 768 MB in my Mac so that gives me a little "elbow room."