[MV] Re: Sluggish Computer With ViaVoice 3.x

Andrew Taylor aetaylor at macspeech.com
Mon Dec 1 12:07:38 PST 2003

MacVoice Readers:

I have been following the thread regarding ViaVoice being sluggish
under Panther, and read the comments regarding the state of speech
recognition on the Macintosh. While I can't comment on the commitment
Apple or Scansoft might have to the market, I can tell you that
MacSpeech is alive and well, and continuing to improve its software.

While it is no secret that MacSpeech fell on hard times with the
dot-com crash a couple of years ago, we never stopped developing
software or improving our product. iListen is currently at version
1.6.3, and it is completely compatible with Panther. It is true that
we do not have the financial resources of Apple, IBM, or Scansoft.
Today, every dollar we put into product development comes from sales
revenue. The good news is sales have been consistently improving over
the past few months.

At the risk of this turning into a product plug, the best way to
improve the state of speech recognition on the Macintosh is to buy
iListen, buy upgrades, buy ScriptPaks, and tell everyone about this
little Mac-only company that has survived where even IBM decided to
no longer compete. Rest assured, substantial growth for MacSpeech
will mean accelerated development!

Best Regards,

Andrew Taylor, CEO
MacSpeech, Inc.