[MV] Re: Sluggish Computer With ViaVoice 3.x/NOT

John Everett JohnEverett at Comcast.Net
Mon Dec 15 11:59:44 PST 2003

 I guess it is time for me step in.  I do not know enough about the
software, other than as an intermittent user.  For me, it is doing
everything just fine.

 I have been using ViaVoice off and on for two years on this same machine.
I have not noticed any change in ability through the various OS X upgrades
including today's 10.3.1.  It works consistently and if I'm reading text, it
provides a very accurate input.  It is only when I am thinking and dictating
at the same time that many errors end up in the text input.

I am able to dictate directly into other applications, but my preference is
to use SpeakPad.  Because it allows me to make corrections and have more
control over what I¹m doing.  However, the accuracy when dictating into
applications appears to be about the same and highly accurate.  I make very
few corrections.  Certainly it is much faster than when I am typing.

There is no delay (about 1 second) from the time I finish speaking until the
text appears on the screen.  Even when I am reading quite fast.

I wonder how many users don¹t participate on this board because  they don¹t
need to.  The silent majority? Then, we get mostly negatives from those
having trouble.

I don¹t know why mine works and others don¹t. I did come here over a year
ago and found out why mine wouldn¹t work then (the inability of VV to
coexist on a machine with a large number of internet bookmarks).  The simple
fixes that were needed in the past may still be needed, but haven¹t been
discussed in months or perhaps a year. I don¹t remember the details but
assume they  are archived somewhere.

Good luck to all!  It can work just fine!

John Everett

G4 933 Panther 10.3.1 IG RAM
VV 3.0 (10 Jan 03 modified date) Andrea NC-7100 mike