good microphone if you use both iListen and ViaVoice

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Sun Feb 23 18:25:02 PST 2003

I do not remember if I posted this information to the list before
(though I know I've sent it privately to various people).  But this
is worth repeating.

I use both ViaVoice for Mac OS X and iListen.  Having a microphone
that works well on both programs is a necessity.

Microphones I have:

Andrea Electronics ANC-700--this is a high quality active noise
canceling microphone that can be used with PC sound cards or via USB
ports on both Macs and PCs with the addition of a USB adapter

Andrea Electronics NC-7100 USB microphone--this is the microphone
that shipped with my copy of ViaVoice for Mac OS X

VXI TalkPro Xpress--This is another analog microphone that can be
used with both Macs and PCs

My USB adapter is an Andrea Electronics USB Pod--I've had this Pod
produce results equal to $200 sound cards when using it on PCs when
connected to the ANC-700 for those interested, and the Pod works
quite well on my G4 iMac

I use ViaVoice for Mac OS X (with the recent update from IBM
installed) and iListen on a 800 MHz G4 iMac with 768 MB of RAM
running Jaguar.

Both the Andrea Electronics microphones work well with ViaVoice, with
the Andrea Electronics ANC-700 producing better results.  However,
Andrea Electronics microphones do *not* produce good results with
iListen (MacSpeech technical support acknowledges mixed results with
Andrea Electronics microphones).  While these are good microphones it
has long been known that Andrea Electronics microphones have a weaker
signal.  iListen has a problem with this.

The VXI TalkPro Xpress works quite well with both ViaVoice and
iListen.  Very early in training iListen with the VXI TalkPro Xpress
I was already getting better accuracy than fully trained profiles
with either of the Andrea Electronics microphones.  I specifically
purchased the VXI TalkPro Xpress because it did not have the battery
box that most VXI microphones for speech recognition have.

NOTE: be sure to run the microphone setup in either ViaVoice or
iListen after you start it.  Each speech recognition program requires
slightly different microphone settings.  Running Microphone setup
will assure the correct settings for the program you are using.

With the exception of the NC-7100 USB microphone that came with
ViaVoice for Mac OS X all microphones and the USB adapter were
purchased at eMicrophones.com  <http://www.emicrophones.com>
eMicrophones.com is run by Martin Markoe a long-time and widely
respected reseller of microphones for a variety of uses.

With the VXI TalkPro Xpress connected to an Andrea Electronics USB
Pod I now have a combination that lets me with between ViaVoice and
iListen at need while getting good accuracy in both programs.  As
someone who depends on speech recognition due to a disability this is
a *necessity*.