Failure of ViaVoice to produce text.

Martin Gregory Martin.Gregory at hsc.utah.edu
Fri Jan 24 10:35:56 PST 2003

Erratically, ViaVoice fails to respond to voice.  The problem is not with the microphone, because I can run audio setup with all the indications that the computer is receiving microphone input and is getting very good or excellent voice quality.  It is simply that dictation does not appear in the SpeakPad window.  On some occasions, commands will be recognized, on other occasions they will not, but no text output appears in the SpeakPad window.  Obviously, I have checked that the microphone icon is switched on and not gray, and that the cursor is in the SpeakPad window, and that the program is not waiting for a ?Cancel? command at the end of correction. This problem sometimes arises in the middle of a dictation session and sometimes is present from the moment of opening the program.  Today, I have restarted ViaVoice 3 times and it still doesn?t work.   This is very frustrating.

Can anyone help with this?  It wastes a lot of time to shut down the program and restart it, particularly if one goes through audio set up each time.

Martin Gregory
800 MHz G4 TiBook, 512 Mb RAM
10.2.3
ViaVoice 3.0.1