Increasing vocabulary for iListen.

Kai-Man Lee kaimanl at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 23:28:26 PDT 2003

I have two questions for the learned participants on this listserve:

1.  Is there a way to simply add an extended vocabulary for iListen,
such as medical terminology (instead of learning each new word one at a
time)?  I have the medical vocabulary CD for ViaVoice and would like to
incorporate it into iListen; is this possible, and if so, how?

2.  When one dictates into ViaVoice or iListen, there is a volume/amplitude
bar that measures how loudly one is speaking.  Does anyone know what the
optimal volume should be as gauged by the volume bar?  When I dictate, I'm
not sure if I should speak only loud enough to keep the volume bar in the
green for ViaVoice and in the yellow for iListen.  Or should I dictate a bit
louder to get somewhat into the red for ViaVoice and somewhat into the green
for iListen.  If so, how much into the red or green is optimal.  When I use
the setup assistant for ViaVoice, it seems that the louder I speak, and the
more into the red I go on the volume bar, the better ViaVoice rates my
speech quality.  But it would seem to me that a certain point, I would be
dictating too loudly and degrade the quality of my audio input - so I want
to know is what is the optimal voice loudness (according to the amplitude
bar) for best accuracy?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Kai-Man