[MV] Re: Microphones for iListen/some thoughts

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 11:54:01 PDT 2003

>What is the difference between the Vxi TalkPro and the Vxi TalkPro Express,
>and is that an important difference for Mac users using either VV or iListen
>(I'm using both!)?

I use both ViaVoice for OS X and iListen too.

The VXi, or VXI you see it both ways on their site, TalkPro has a
battery box--which despite what they say in the instructions almost
always means you need to install batteries for good accuracy
according to reports from others. And according to Martin Markoe
batteries are a necessity when using this microphone with an Andrea
Electronics USB pod. I *hate* battery boxes, they are difficult to
open and the batteries always seem to die (causing your accuracy to
suffer) at the worst times. But microphones with battery boxes are
good for connecting to sound cards on PCs.

The VXI TalkPro Xpress is essentially the same microphone but
*without* the battery box. It works very well in both ViaVoice for OS
X and iListen when connected to an Andrea Electronics USB pod. I do
not know how well it would work with a Griffin Technology iMic.

The combination of a VXI TalkPro Xpress and an Andrea Electronics USB
pod is what I use and recommend on a Mac.