[MV] Re: Dictation Only VV?

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Tue May 13 13:40:29 PDT 2003

>Now I have a related question (since it looks like I'll be getting
>ViaVoice Simply Dictation): What microphone should I get???  For the
>USB mics, does it matter if it's plugged into a hub or directly into
>the computer?  For non-USB mics, is the Griffin iMic a good way of
>hooking them up?  Getting a USB mic would seem to be the simpler
>choice, but is there any difference in quality of the mics?

Do not plug a USB microphone into a hub if you can avoid it. This has
a tendency reduce signal quality and therefore recognition accuracy.

My preferred setup as an Andrea Electronics USB Pod (I haven't tried
the Griffin iMic.) and a good analog microphone connected to it.  I
have found this gives the best results on both Macs and PCs. My
favorite microphone is the Andrea Electronics ANC-700.  The Andrea
Electronics NC-7100 has a built in USB Pod but is not quite as
accurate in my experience.  However, at only $50 the NC-7100 is worth
considering if you have a quiet environment.  If you find the ANC-700
to heavy try a VXI TalkPro Xpress.  This is what I am currently using
so I can dictate into either iListen or ViaVoice.  When coupled with
an Andrea Electronics USB Pod the VXI TalkPro Xpress is an excellent
microphone, but I don't recommend it for travel as it is lightly
constructed and will not fold flat.

  (Note to iListen users: Andrea Electronics microphones do not work
well with iListen for some users.  According to MacSpeech tis is
because they do not quite have enough gain.  If you're going to use
both ViaVoice and iListen I suggest a VXI TalkPro Xpress connected to
an Andrea Electronics USB Pod.)

Take it form somebody who has been using speech recognition for
years, the right microphone is crucial to good results.  There are
quality differences between microphones.  I get mine from
eMicrphones. the owner Martin Markoe is well known in the speech
recognition community.  Here are some URLs:

Andrea Electronics USB Pod
<http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=003>

Andrea Electronics ANC-700
<http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=006>

VXI TalkPro Xpress
<http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=047>

Andrea Electronics NC-7100 (not quite as good as the other two
microphones, but a good price and a built in USB Pod)
<http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/prod_details.asp?prodID=020>