[MV] Mic failure in OSX 10.2.8

David Morrison David.Morrison at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Nov 12 15:04:40 PST 2003

>I am on a MDD 867 mp OSX 10.2.8 and I can't get my Andrea 7100 mic
>to work. It works in OS 9.2.2. I probably don't have the correct sys
>pref set up. Anyone want to show me the secret handshake?

One of the things I have found with OS X 10.2 is that the sound
system often gets a little confused. The symptoms include:

* Mic input plays through to output

* Poor quality sound input

When I look at the display from Audio MIDI Setup (Utilities folder),
it often shows the controller to be one thing and the device to be
something entirely different. (These probably parallel the Sound and
Speech system preference panels.)

For example, I have a Talkpro mic connected to an Andrea Pod USB
adapter. Audio MIDI Setup almost always shows the controller to be
the Pod (AK5370), but the input device to be the "built in audio
controller". This works, but not as well as setting the input device
to be AK5370 also.

I have found this to happen using both Via Voice and iListen, and
also with the NC7100 mic that came with Via Voice.

I would be interested to know whether this is something peculiar to
my Macs (G4/400 and G4/450DP) or whether it is a general problem.

Regards

David
--
David Morrison, Blackboard Project Manager
Application Development and Integration, University Services
E-mail David.Morrison at newcastle.edu.au
Ph +61 2 49215397   Fax +61 2 49217087