[MV] Errant words in speech recognition suggestions

Valerie Maples vlmaples at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 5 18:36:21 PST 2004

May I butt in here? My guess is that I am one of the few dual platform voice
recognition users familiar with all of the products available. There is a
tremendous difference in the occurrence of unintentional one syllable words
in iListen over Dragon Naturally Speaking and as far as I can tell even for
users who follow all the usual recommendations to maximize voice
recognition.

To a limited extent my accuracy with iListen has improved by moving my
microphone even further away from my mouth than the recommended amount.
However, this has resulted in lesser recognition of similar words, mainly as
and his, that should have then is, then should have been been, you get the
idea. In other words, you end up having to pick your poison. None of these
problems would be nearly as frustrating if you could to dictate into a
dedicated word processor such as dragon pad in dragon naturally speaking or
if you could double click the word needing correction, saving time going to
it in the correction window.

Within the next few months I will be totally using iListen on my Macintosh
and moving my PC out of the room. I'm sure then my proficiency with dragon
will decrease as I will use it far less regularly.

Just one person's take...
Valerie