[MV] Where are we now?

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Sat Nov 6 07:34:18 PST 2004

Bert (and everyone else):

When we came out with version 1.1 of iListen (the first version to
include Correction), the consensus was 50-50. About 50% of the people
who had tried both programs got as good or better results with iListen,
while 50% still felt ViaVoice was more accurate.

With each version of the product since (it is now at 1.6.5) we have
improved many facets of the program to the point that the majority now
believe iListen is "as good or better" than ViaVoice. There are still
those who will get overwhelmingly better results while dictating using
one or the other. This is due to primarily to the differences in the
base voice models between the two programs. In short, if your voice
sounds more like the base voice model employed by iListen for your
gender, you will have a better "out of the box" experience with it over
ViaVoice (and vice versa). But over time, employing Correction on a
consistent basis should, in the vast majority of cases, negate any
initial differences.

The larger question is whether you want to support a product that has
had absolutely no development on it for almost two years, and whose
product is difficult to install and get up and running for some people
on the current version of the OS? Or would you prefer to support a
company who has remained dedicated to making sure the product works on
the Mac OS and continues to improve it with each release.

I will make no pretense here. We are a small company, but we have been
around since 1999. Speech recognition on the Mac is the only thing we
do. Unlike IBM we can't afford to discontinue development of all speech
related products for consumers (as they did in April of 2003). More
importantly, each and every sale is important to us, and it is equally
important that each user have a satisfying experience with our product.

Are 100% of our customers satisfied? No. There are those who, for one
reason or another, can not (or are not ready to) use speech
recognition. We have many customers who purchased a few years ago, put
the product on the shelf as "not ready for prime time" and recently
upgraded it and are extremely happy with the results they are getting.
Naturally, there are those who want it to be better still, and we will
keep working at it until we meet their standards as well.

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here and tell you we'd really
like to have you as a customer, and we will try hard to make sure
things work for you.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.