[MV] Where are we now?

Robert Camner macvoice at camner.net
Sat Nov 6 09:45:52 PST 2004

My experience has been with ViaVoice (Mac) from the beginning through OS
10.3 and iListen starting with 1.5.1 (through 1.6.5).

I wouldn't go the ViaVoice Mac route.  It certainly has its advantages,
but as Chuck says it is not longer being developed, and with each
release of an OS update, a few more people find it doesn't work quite
right anymore.  There will come a time before too long before it just
doesn't function.  It's a dead end, in my view.

That said, I'm afraid I'm one of those frustrated iListen users.  I just
can't get decent accuracy out of it.  At least not nearly as good
accuracy as I can in ViaVoice.  It may just be that my voice more
closely matches the VV voice model.

So, what I did (not cheaply!), was to buy a PC and install VV for the
PC, and I do my voice recognition work there.  How often depends on how
my RSI is feeling that day.  VV on the PC works MUCH better for me than
iListen on my Mac.  I wish that weren't so, but there it is.  And yes,
I'm using a recommended microphone, I've followed Chuck's (and others)
advice on this list, etc.  When VV doesn't work anymore on the PC, I'll
probably buy Dragon.

However, I continue to support iListen, and will undoubtedly happily
purchase an upgrade to iListen whenever (and I'm sure it's when, not
if), iListen progresses to a point that MacSpeech feels it should
appropriately charge for an upgrade.

So, I'm an iListen fan, but not, at least not right now, a user.

Robert