[MV] Trouble transcriping from tape recorder

Chuck Rogers thechuck at mac.com
Thu Jul 28 15:55:14 PDT 2005

Lorin (and everyone else):

You can't use a tape recording for transcription. Tapes introduce
tape hiss, which will cause all sorts of problems with speech
recognition.

 From our Knowledgebase:

"All speech recognition programs (both Macintosh-based and Windows-
based) which support transcription from an audio file have the
following limitations:

* There must be only one voice in the audio file. To speech
recognition software the audio file is just so much data. The program
has no way telling when different people are speaking, or switching
between voice profiles.

* There must be a matching voice profile for the person speaking in
the recording. Without a matching voice profile iListen has no proper
references to compare the incoming audio against.

* The person speaking must say any necessary punctuation such as
commas, periods, question marks, et cetera. Spoken punctuation is
necessary to provide additional context for the words.

* It is not a tape recording; tape hiss causes too much distortion.

Unless all these criteria are met you cannot get usable recognition
accuracy.

iListen has specific requirements as to audio file format as well.

* The audio file is in either AIFF or WAV format with these
characteristics: 16-bit mono, uncompressed, and a sampling frequency
of 16KHz.

[Note: an exception to this is the digital recorders we support which
use a sampling frequency of 11KHz.]

The support for transcription from audio files is designed solely to
allow an individual to dictate text while away from the computer and
have this dictation transcribed at a later date."

All that having been said, you later say you are using an Olympus
recorder purchased from us, which would be a digital recorder. Lorin,
I typically do a demonstration of transcription in my presentations
on speech recognition in Apple retail stores, and have never
experienced any of the behaviors you are describing.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers

There is an .p7m attachment to my email, what is it?
It is a digital certificate/signature file I use to assure recipients
that the email really was sent by Chuck Rogers. If this file is
received as a text block, then you are using a mail client which is
not S/MIME compatible, and will not be able to use the attached
certificate.