[MV] Which Voice Recog Software for Transcribing

Joseph Senecal JSenecal at aol.com
Fri Feb 24 11:55:16 PST 2006

> The latter point involves training the program.  If you read a 15
> minute
> story to the program to train it, try it, and then decide that it
> doesn't
> work well enough for you and give up, that's one thing.  If you
> continue
> from there, and keep on correcting errors that the program makes
> interactively, eventually the program will probably attain a high
> recognition rate for you.

I tell people that for Speech Recognition to work you need to either
enjoy the process or really need to use it (and thus willing to do
whatever it takes). It takes a lot of work to get any Speech
Recognition to work well for you (iListen is the third that I've
used). Exactly how much work depends on what you want to get out of
it. Since I use it for programming I needed to add a large number of
voice macros and strange words.

But if you are strongly motivated, speech recognition can be a
marvelous thing.

Joe Senecal

P.S. I'm one of those who uses dictation software because I think
it's fun, not because I have to (yet). Hopefully by using dictation
at least some of the time, I'll never get into a situation where I
have to use the software (avoid carpal tunnel problems).