[MV] Which Voice Recog Software for Transcribing

Joseph Senecal JSenecal at aol.com
Fri Feb 24 12:46:59 PST 2006

I'm going from memory here so I might not have button names exactly
right.

> First, when I have the correction window open and there's a list of
> words to
> choose from, my question is, after I click the right word (or type
> in the
> word he means) is this a "saved" correction so that when the
> program hears
> that word in the future, it will get it right?

Yes corrections affect future recognition after changes are committed
(when the document is closed). In my experience, the number of times
you need to correct it can vary widely. Sometimes iListen gets it
right the next time, sometimes it needs to be corrected dozens of
times. But it does learn eventually. For difficult to recognize words
or phrases, you can see the progress that corrections make as the
correct choice moves up on the list of choices.

> Also, how does the other
> correction option of "What I say" work?  I reviewed the manual, but
> it's not
> clear.

The "What I Say" area is where you enter new words during correction.
If you type a word that iListen doesn't know in the option 1 box, it
will switch to "What I Say" automatically. You can also do so anytime
you wish.

The top text box is what you want iListen to type for this new word.
Make sure capitalization is right in that box (for example, if it was
the first word in the sentence, it would be capitalized, which
probably is not how you want it to learn the word). The second box is
what you'll be saying. The third box is the phonetic version of
what's in the second box. If you change the text in the second box,
you press the "Make Phonetic" button to convert it to phonetics. Or
you can edit the phonetics directly.

What I usually do is either accept what iListen offers, or enter
words that have the sounds I want and then remove the unwanted sounds
from the phonetic box.

When you're happy with it, push the button to learn the new word.
This happens immediately, even before corrections are committed. You
can then switch back to the normal correction mode. Sometimes when
you teach iListen a new word, the text on the left will get garbled.
Just click the done button and then restart correction to fix that.

Chuck answered your other questions better than I can.

Joe Senecal

Long time user of iListen.