[MV] Voice recognition for transcription: Opinions sought

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Thu Feb 22 06:33:36 PST 2007

Rena (and everyone else):

Simply put, no speech recognition can do what you ask, and it will
probably be many years before computers have the processing power
necessary to do so. The problem will be that the speaker is not
speaking his or her punctuation, and not speaking in an environment
with a consistent noise level, nor will they be using a noise-
canceling microphone that is in a consistent position in relation to
their mouth. All of these factors will introduce enough inaccuracy in
the transcribed text to make it not worth the effort.

We have many people using our transcription solution and what they do
is re-speak the audio in their own voice, inserting punctuation as
they go. This produces much more reliable transcription and still
saves about 30% of what it would take to type in the text manually.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.