[MV] Voice Recognition Issues

revDAVE coolcat at hosting4days.com
Thu Mar 15 08:03:59 PDT 2007

On 2/21/2007 8:55 AM, "Regina Sadono" <rsadono at calarts.edu> wrote:

> One more thing, while I'm at it.... I have been a writer for all of my life
> and find that it's a very specific process that starts with creating
> words/sounds in the quiet of my mind and then these get recorded through the
> activity of my hands either by writing or typing.  Writing is a very
> specific neurological process and I have not been able to access this
> process orally.  Speaking is a completely different neurological process and
> puts me in a completely different place where I can't "compose." In fact
> speaking seems to interrupt my writing process just like throwing stones
> into a pond disturbs the water.  I'm sure others have gone through this to
> rewire their writing mechanism for voice recognition and I would be very
> interested if someone could write out the steps they went through or point
> me to a place where someone has outlined these steps.

My situation is a little bit different.  I immediately noticed, when I
started using voice recognition software for "creative writing", that I
found a great block not from speaking, but from visually looking at the
screen as the words appeared. As I watched the the words appear on the
screen - often with recognition errors - then the natural instinct was to
start focusing on fixing the errors etc. - and all the sudden I realized
that I  lost the flow of  my " creative writing ".

The simple solution for me: as I was speaking my " creative writing " -  I
simply either closed my eyes - or made sure that my eyes were not focused on
the screen. Then, when I had completed my thoughts, I would go back later
and edit the printed words.

As far as speaking itself:  you might try reorientation exercises - where
you might " practice " writing through speech recognition -  by writing
stuff for exercise only purposes - stuff you really don't care too much
about... Just for practice...

 Hope this helps - Dave

--
Thanks - RevDave