[MV] DNS on Mac on Parallels

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Mon May 7 07:21:57 PDT 2007

Ian (and everyone else):

As Joe pointed out, having commands intermingled in dictation mode
could cause huge problems. While there will be improvements, the only
way I see commands being integrated is if there is a trigger word in
front of the command. Even that could cause problems, however.
Imaging you are dictating the phrase "when I told my computer to go
to sleep" and the trigger word is "computer." You wouldn't want your
computer to go to sleep in the middle of a dictation session!

There will always be something to "get used to." If you have commands
integrated into dictation you will be even more restricted as to what
you can say for commands, since those commands will have to be
structured in such a way that they are less likely to be mistaken for
a phrase you want to dictate. This can present a very unnatural way
of using the computer, since those phrases would likely be harder to
remember.

As it is, you can always say "one shot command" in iListen and it
will go into Command Mode for one command - so the very next thing
you say after "one shot command" will be interpreted as an action
instead of typed out. This may give you what you are looking for - or
at least get you closer.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.