[MV] comfortable microphone?

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Tue May 8 09:19:30 PDT 2007

Henry (and everyone else):

We are not able to certify the iMics that have been shipping for the
past 3 years. They switched to a new chipset three years ago. What
they switched to does not provide enough signal strength for iListen
to get enough data to provide acceptable accuracy. This is really a
Mac OS X issue, not an iListen issue.

Mac OS X wants a signal strength that is about 10db higher than that
of Windows. When using devices that were designed primarily with
Windows computers in mind for things like VoIP or gaming, you can
always turn up the volume (which also increases the volume of the
noise in the environment). But for speech recognition, you need that
extra oomph right up front.

BTW, this is also why many Skype for Windows users complain that Mac
users are harder to hear (softer). The Logitech microphones sold by
Skype do not provide this additional signal strength.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.